| || ||
Bird Expert, Expert Witness, Bird Litigation
Expert & Consultant Ornithologist
- Former Prosecutor and Senior Investigations Officer Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), subsequent litigation advisor and courtroom Expert.
Criminal and Civil courtroom experience England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, at all levels.
Fellow, Honorary Life Member and Former Principal Institute of Professional Investigators, listed 'UK Registers of Expert Witnesses' and 'Expert Witness'.
Experience as Single Joint Expert in civil cases.
- Experienced investigator and bird-issue specialist UK, Europe and world-wide: including,
Identifying, sexing-aging both wild-taken and captive-bred birds;
National and International trade in live and dead birds, their eggs and derivatives;
Prohibitions on taking, possession and destruction of birds;
Non-compliance or evasion of regulatory controls, e.g. registration, ringing, or other forms of identification marking.
- Commercial, breeding and wintering, lowland and upland, population and distribution survey experience, e.g. Cirl Buntings v development proposals; seabird movements within proposed offshore windfarm areas; breeding Little Ringed Plovers at gravel extraction sites. Long-term voluntary field worker for British Trust for Ornithology, e.g. National Nest Records Scheme, Common Bird Census, Breeding Bird Survey, National Atlas x 3, National Bird Ringing Scheme; Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Farmer and Volunteer Alliance; Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Seabird 2000 organiser Isles of Scilly; Isles of Scilly Environmental Trust and former English Nature, annual Isles of Scilly breeding seabird distribution and population dynamics.
- Member UK Seabird Group and Axe Estuary and Rutland Water Ringing Groups. 2007-2013 data-validator of all bird records for the National and Devon Bird Atlases. Former editor Isles of Scilly Annual Bird Report and former member World Working Group on Birds of Prey.
- Former editor of the annual 'Isles of Scilly Bird Report' and a former Council Member of Devon Bird Watching and Preservation Society.
- Published works include the books:-
'Bird Detective' (Elm Tree Books 1982)
'The Birds of the Isles of Scilly' (Christopher Helm 2003)
'The Consequences of Finding Daniel Morgan' (Matador 2019)
- Former full-time operational Station Officer with the London Fire Brigade, Graduate Diploma Institute of Fire Engineers.
- European birding experience; Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Spain & Gibraltar, Portugal & Madeira, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, former Yugoslavia, Greece.
Other areas; USA (California, Florida, New England), Mexico, Middle East (Egypt, Israel, Jordan), Africa (Gambia, Morocco, Senegal, Tanzania, South Africa), Australia (ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia), Southeast Asia (Bali, Singapore, Nepal).