| || ||
Bird Expert, Expert Witness, Bird Litigation
Expert & Consultant Ornithologist
- Former Prosecutor and Senior Investigations Officer Royal Society for the Protection of Birds 1974-1990, subsequent 25 years as litigation advisor and courtroom expert witness.
Criminal and Civil courtroom experience at all levels, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Fellow, Honorary Life Member and Former Principal Institute of Professional Investigators, listed UK Register of Expert Witnesses.
Civil experience as Single Joint expert.
- Experienced criminal investigator and bird-issue specialist UK, Europe and World-wide: including,
identifying, sexing and aging of both wild-taken and captive-bred birds;
national and international trade in live and dead birds, their eggs and derivatives;
prohibitions on taking, possession and destruction of birds;
non-compliance or evasion of regulatory controls, e.g. registration, ringing or other forms of identification marking.
- Commercial, breeding and wintering, lowland and upland, population and distribution survey experience, e.g. Cirl Buntings v development proposals; seabird movements within proposed offshore windfarm areas; breeding Little Ringed Plovers at gravel extraction sites. Long-term voluntary field worker for British Trust for Ornithology, e.g. National Nest Records Scheme, Common Bird Census, Breeding Bird Survey, National Atlas x 3, National Bird Ringing Scheme; Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Farmer and Volunteer Alliance; Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Seabird 2000 organiser Isles of Scilly; Isles of Scilly Environmental Trust and former English Nature, annual Isles of Scilly breeding seabird distribution and population dynamics.
- Member UK Seabird Group and Axe Estuary and Rutland Water Ringing Groups. 2007-2013 data-validator of all bird records for the National and Devon Bird Atlases. Former editor Isles of Scilly Annual Bird Report and former member World Working Group on Birds of Prey.
- Former editor of the annual 'Isles of Scilly Bird Report' and a former Council Member of Devon Bird Watching and Preservation Society.
- Published works include the books 'Bird Detective' (Elm Tree Books, 1982) and 'The Birds of the Isles of Scilly' (Christopher Helm, 2003).
- Former full-time operational Station Officer with the London Fire Brigade, Graduate Diploma Institute of Fire Engineers.
- European birding experience; Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Spain & Gibraltar, Portugal & Madeira, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, former Yugoslavia, Greece.
Other areas visited include; USA (California, Florida & New England), Mexico, Middle East (Egypt, Israel, Jordan), Africa (Gambia, Morocco, Senegal & Tanzania), Australia (ACT, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia), Southeast Asia (Bali & Singapore).